As parents we want to protect our kids from pain, but sometimes it is out of our control. Depression is a really challenging emotion that is complex and difficult to understand, even for adults. I was excited to learn about a new children’s book, The Black Cloud Blues, that is providing validation and tools to help kids cope with depression. It is a great resources to be added to your home, school, or pediatric setting.
There is a contagious smile that appears on our face when we witness a child’s pure joy and happiness. Sometimes we even cry when we see them light up and giggle, especially for those kids who haven’t smiled in a while.
I found myself smiling, nodding and becoming teary eyed when I watched a video from an amazing organization, A Moment of Magic. Here is a little more about them.
A Moment of Magic is the original 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that allows college-age students to volunteer at children’s hospitals and social service institutions to provide creative programming. Our most popular services include Princess Visits, Superhero Visits, Personality Visits, Athlete Visits, Direct Family Support, and Inter-family Connection.
Our services are provided through hospitals, at the homes of individual children, with other foundations, and via Skype!
Our organization visits children in need free of charge to the institution. We provide services such as individual visits, bedside visits, group visits, story readings, and special events- just to name a few. We are the largest organization of our kind with 12 chapters all over the United States and 400+ volunteers. To read more about our services click here.
We have met more than 9,500 children across 25 states and 2 countries!
Guest Blogger: Jacqueline DiChiara
Dr. Scribbles® is an innovative new product that puts children at ease during a stressful doctor’s visit, by transforming boring white exam bench paper into a PLAYFUL and MEANINGFUL educational experience. Dr. Scribbles allows kids to learn and express their creative side with a smile and a crayon.
Dr. Scribbles paper was invented by Angela Malone, a creative Cincinnati mom who wanted to keep her daughters well behaved and occupied during uneasy doctors’ visits. Angela’s idea helped her daughters remain calm while getting a painful shot or undergoing a medical procedure by being happily distracted, completing puzzles and drawing activities right on the exam paper they were sitting on.
Here are just a few awesome Dr. Scribbles features:
- QR codes let you take the Dr. Scribbles experience anywhere.
- Our free educational, interactive app lets your child learn more about health and wellness on the go.
- The average time spent waiting in the exam room is 23 minutes – Dr. Scribbles story-telling characters can help make this time go by faster.
- Packs of no-mess and sanitary washable crayons are given to each patient to take home when they leave the doctor’s office.
Both children and parents can scribble away with Dr. Scribbles – all while learning a thing or two about health and wellness. Our inspiring and interactive virtual characters — including Faith, Hope, Charity, Mateo, Michael, and Charlie — offer health tips, and impart maxims that touch on the importance of emotional and psychological health. After all, says our character Charity, “The more you give, the better you feel.”
Health providers across the country are already using Dr. Scribbles exam paper with positive results. Dr. David Hill, Associate Medical Director of KidzCare Pediatrics and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the UNC School of Medicine, and Chair of the AAP Council on Communications and Media, was one of the first adopters of Dr. Scribbles paper.
Dr. Scribbles helps:
- Reduce patient anxiety
- Improve the patient experience
- Promote parent-child interaction
“Too often I open an exam room door to find both parent and child poking at the screens of their smart phones. Sometimes the child is mesmerized by a cartoon on a tablet computer while the parent stares out the window. These scenes always sadden me,” says Dr. Hill. “Since we started using Dr. Scribbles, I’ve had one occasion after another to smile. I walk in to find a child and her parent coloring, drawing, and making up stories together, and I have an automatic conversation starter when I ask about what they’ve been doing. Dr. Scribbles is the best catalyst of joint attention I’ve ever encountered.”
‘I cannot wait to see how users choose to unlock this product’s potential,” stresses Dr. Hill. “Regardless of the next step for Dr. Scribbles, I am confident of one thing: people will be paying attention.”
Want to learn more?
- Follow Dr. Scribbles on Facebook and help get our innovative product to a pediatrician near you.
- Check out our new interactive designs, real patient testimonials, and more on our story to change the industry – one scribble at a time!
- Have a question or comment? Give Dr. Scribbles CEO, Angela, a call today at 513-300-5042.
- Looking to partner? We’d love to hear from you. Learn how to advertise your company name on our exam paper today! We’re even happy to send you a free sample.
Choose one or more ways to win a free case of Dr. Scribbles exam bench paper and a t-shirt.
- Sign up for email notifications at ChildLifeMommy.com and leave a comment on this post.
- Facebook: Follow Child Life Mommy, leave a comment and tag a friend on the post.
- Facebook: Follow Dr. Scribbles and leave a comment about the giveaway.
- Twitter: Follow, Like and RT the post to @ChildLifeMommy and @Doc_Scribbles.
- Instagram: Follow @ChildLifeMommy, Like and Tag a friend in the post.
Winner will be chosen by 9/28/17. Shipping to U.S.residents only.