Child Life Services for your family
Families facing trauma, loss, illness, and complicated life situations can benefit tremendously from the support of a Certified Child Life Specialist. As a CCLS, I provide psychosocial and emotional support through therapeutic interventions of play, education, preparation for medical procedures and events, creative art modalities, and teaching healthy coping and advocacy skills. Through an initial consultation, I create a treatment plan that will work for individuals and the whole family to best support them in the comfort of their own home. I provide services to children and families living in Placer County, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills, as well as phone and telehealth consultations for clients outside of the area.
Who I help
Children and Adolescents:
- Who have experienced trauma
- Living with an acute or chronic illness
- With a parent/caregiver that has a health condition
- Who have special needs
- Undergoing a medical/dental procedure
- Coping with separation of a loved one
- On hospice or coping with a loved one on hospice
- Facing grief and loss
- Coping with the challenges of COVID-19 pandemic
Services include but are not limited to:
- Therapeutic play
- Parent coaching/education
- Sibling support
- Medical/Dental education and preparation
- School re-entry following an illness
- Separation of caregiver
- Teaching coping and advocacy skills
- Transitions (preparation/coping)
- Legacy building for end of life
How to get started
Set up a phone or face to face consultation. This will be a time to gather information, assess the needs, and create goals. The following session will be direct interventions with your child in the comfort of your own home. Each session is 60 minutes, with the last 10 minutes allocated to cleaning up and debriefing with parents. Sessions can be conducted individually for kids or with the whole family.
At this time I don’t accept insurance however, I slide my scale to work with your family’s financial needs.
Shani Thornton, MS, CCLS, RWWP
Fill out the form below or call/email at 917-733-5918, ShaniThornton@ChildLifeMommy.com
I also provide workshops for parents, kids, and schools. Click here to learn more.